In recognition of the unflagging determination and leadership shown by Jim and Ginette Munson in the pursuit of a better Canada for Autistic persons, their families and communities, Autism Alliance of Canada created The Jim and Ginette Munson Autism Leadership Award. This annual award is presented to someone living in Canada who has demonstrated the leadership, determination and values that reflect Jim’s and Ginette’s commitment to the creation of a National Autism Strategy.
Nominees of this award embody the following attributes in their contribution to the autism sector in Canada:
- Vision, as exemplified by a broad perspective on Autism in Canada.
- Collaboration, as demonstrated by genuine and inclusive teamwork, with a commitment to promoting engagement with Autistic Canadians and government.
- Acceptance, as shown by an understanding of the lives of Autistic people living in Canada, and their families
- Openness to other perspectives, as demonstrated by big picture thinking and the use of evidence as essential to decision making.
- Personal strength and integrity, as displayed by the personal attributes of tenacity, persistence and above all, kindness.
- Track record of action and impact: as demonstrated by a record of contributions that advance the goal of a better Canada for Autistic people across the country.
Stay tuned for the call for nominations for the second annual Jim and Ginette Munson Autism Leadership Award, which will be presented at the 9th Annual Canadian Autism Leadership Summit (CALS2023) in April 2023!
Award recipient 2022
Whitney Hodgins, an autism and mental health advocate, was selected as the inaugural winner of the Jim and Ginette Munson Autism Leadership Award, presented at the 8th Annual Canadian Autism Leadership Summit hosted by the Autism Alliance of Canada. Click here for more information!